Thursday, February 10, 2011

Artist Statement

Growing up as a kid, I was never a big fan of words. It wasn't because in grade school there were spelling tests every Friday, or that there's just so many words to choose from. I just didn't know how to use them well. Though English is the only language I speak, explaining my thought processes has always been a kind of struggle for me. Tackled by an enormous dose of writer's block and perfectionism in terms of writing papers, it would take me sometimes, what seemed like hours, to formulate a sentence that I would finally be satisfied with.

In High school, I learned to channel this flaw into something more useful-film. I adopted a new language. I started to think in picture stills, advertisements and even in cartoons. I couldn't stop this side of me. I wanted to do more. So when I was 15 and started to embrace reading the news, I had an idea. And
I made my first tiny film.
Fast forward 4 years later. I am less picky. I no longer feel that film is the only medium I can use to create a statement or form an expression. I've had a surge of ideas, some that deal with building installations about the homeless, the projections of our ever growing media on youth, sex, mannequins...And I do hope that this desire of wanting more never stops.


No comments: