Sunday, May 8, 2011

Musem of Moving Image

It's been 2 years since the last time I had encountered the Museum of Moving Image. There was no more scaffolding around the block of the museum like I remembered but there was still some construction going on from within the museum itself.

The first thing that my guide led me to was a special screen that showed a 3D view of the room you were in. You had to stand in front of the screen but it was a "one person at a time" kind of thing. If you stood in a certain spot, there was a motion sensor that immediately picked up your body movements (i'm guessing like the xbox kinect). The screen would then project the 3D view from your own perspective, when moving either left, right of, or behind the screen. If there was a line forming behind you during this demonstration, these people would also see your perspective shown on the screen.

Halfway into the tour, we were led to a stop motion station. In each individual station, there were these cute cutouts that a person could use to build their own short animation. Once completed, you had the option of even sending yourself a copy of the video via email. I chose a Dorothy (from the "Wizard of Oz") cut out from to star in my short animation :)




Shortly after, our tour guide concluded the day with another interactive exhibit.
This section boasted a number of vintage video game consoles that made way to our beloved Playstation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360 of today. Not only were these ancient consoles were placed for display, but there were even some arcade games that allowed you to flash through the past by playing them! I was upset that it was just my luck that "Space Invaders" was out of service...

Afterwards, I ended up walking around any parts of the museum that our group may have just skipped or skimmed through. I felt lost at some point. But I managed to find my way out of the museum satisfied and wanting to visit again once their other installations are finished.


No comments: